Guide to Professional Care
- Take your baby to see a dentist by their first birthday (you can ask your doctor for a recommendation of a dentist that’s good with kids). Starting early will help them be more comfortable going to the dentist.
- Starting young also allows the dental office to check for cavities and risk factors for cavities, which can start as early as 6 months of age.
- You will hold your little one on your lap and the dentist or hygienist will have you lay your baby’s head into their lap. This is called a knee-to-knee exam, and it allows the dental provider to have a clear view of their mouth and teeth. The exam will only take a few minutes, and you will also receive guidance about how to improve the chances of your child staying cavity free!
- You should take them for check-ups twice a year.
- Have your dentist show you how to best brush your baby’s teeth, and ask for examples of which toothbrushes to use.